Sunday, May 25, 2008

Food Connect


I have recently become aware of the concept of community supported agriculture (CSA), which involves a partnership between farmers and buyers to produce and consume local, environmentally sustainable food. So, after a bit of googling, I came across Food Connect, a CSA organisation in my local area. They describe themselves as "a dynamic, farmer direct, community food distribution enterprise operating in South East Queensland. We provide genuine food for families, a decent living for farmers, support the nurturing of the land and the establishment of local community networks."

I signed up for a 4 week subscription, which I have just renewed. I have been very impressed with the quality and quantity of the fruit, vegetables and herbs provided. 80% of the produce is certified organic, 10% is in conversion and 10% use environmentally sustainable practices. Because all of the produce is seasonal, I have been so excited about using different fruits and vegetables and planning my meals around what arrives in my box each Thursday. I've even frozen some leftovers (e.g. grated zucchini) so that I can use those vegetables when they are no longer in season, which paying exorbitant prices at the grocery store.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: