Thursday, May 22, 2008

Knitting is for Cool People!

Hahaha .... I borrowed the title of this post from a Facebook group that I noticed last night.

I have never been a knitter. To be honest, I've always previously thought it was a bit pointless. I mean, who wears knitted stuff? What's the point of knitting things that nobody will ever wear?

Well, my eyes have been opened. It all started when I decided I wanted to knit a pair of longies for Jambin, to cover his fitted cloth nappies. My good friend Shannon, who is a self-taught knitter (she attributes this to much video-watching on Knitting Help) is giving me one-on-one instruction in the art of longie-knitting and .... I'm hooked. I feel like knitting is now part of my identity. I could easily become obsessed by this and start acquiring huge stashes of yarn and needles. This is dangerous. I need another craft like I need a hole in the head. But it has begun. I've already begun borrowing knitting books out of the library, reading The Friday Night Knitting Club (such a beautiful book!), bookmarking knitting books on Fishpond online bookstore, such as this and this and this, reading knitting blogs such as the Yarn Harlot, and siging up to Ravelry, an online knit and crochet community (BTW my username on Ravelry is Charys).

This photo is the beginning of my knitting career. I've cast on and knitted 4 rows. I'm using Addi Turbo circular needles, which I'm in love with. I may never pick up a pair of straight needles ever again, although Shannon tells me that I'll need to use double-pointed needles to knit socks, which is my next project
Posted by Picasa

No comments: